The Ebor Jetworks Ltd is a small independent retailer based in a beautiful C17th workshop in the heart of Whitby’s historic east side. Our shop was built around 1650. Our deeds indicate that it has, unusually, been in female ownership for the last 200 years. Originally built as a fisherman’s cottage, excavations in the cellar during the 1980’s discovered mooring posts and the old harbour wall suggesting that sea level was much higher before the completion of the C19th piers. Artefacts found in the cellar appear to be Scarborough Ware dating from C13th, suggesting that our building sits on much older foundations. The images below date to the early C20th when our shop was Hunter’s general Store. Hunter’s sweet shop has now moved a couple of doors down to 127 Church street.
Smokey east side
children outside 1900s